Thursday, December 25, 2008

Haiku cat

I'm not sure if I ever read (long ago!) 1931 Newbery Award winning book "for children" The Cat Who Went To Heaven by Elizabeth Coatsworth. A brief description says: "A three-colored cat brought good luck to a Japanese artist who was working on a picture for the temple, introducing animals one after another. A beautiful story, not very long."

I was thinking of re-naming the little 3 color cat first dubbed "Mac", Amigurumi, after the Japanese term for very popular, very cute, little crochet stuffed toys (I think Wikipedia or someplace gives definition--google it). That little kit seems smaller than litter of kittens born sometime afterwards; much smaller than mostly white with orange spots sibling Rosie.

After watching a rainbow in the sky for most of the day, moving across landscape with the sun, I wrote a haiku. (Also was influenced by charming book about two small Japanese dolls by Rumer Godden; one of which is named "Miss Flower".) Beautiful sights from nature made me think of little white cat with petal-colored patches that I'd thought of calling Yuki, which I think Japanese name meaning snow; also Japanese story about appreciating pattern of leaves scattered on path instead of sweeping up:

Small cat sleeps
Autumn leaves on snow
Leaps to heaven
White clouds & rainbow!

Another nice name for a tiny cat might be Haiku, the poem form only seventeen syllables long!

>^.^<

No comments:

Post a Comment